birding-aus

the walk of shame for Orange-bellied Parrots

To: <>, <>, <>, <>
Subject: the walk of shame for Orange-bellied Parrots
From: Simon Mustoe <>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 07:24:07 +0000
Storm,

I'd be interested to know more about what background information there is.
Whilst I would normally whole-heartedly agree, the theory may not apply to OBP
at present. As I understand it, the species has in the past, been quite fecund.
It was not unusual to have 4-5 chicks fledge per adult but the population
either remained the same / declined year to year. So for many many years, it
has been clear that habitat change at the wintering grounds is the driving
factor behind loss of the population.

So if we now have a situation where the birds are barely laying, will this mean
lowered fecundity in any future year? If over-winter mortality remains
consistent, then this would mean a reduction in the population - there being
less redundancy in the number of young. As you say and as Peter Menkhorst
rightly pointed out, the viability of wild populations depends more on adult
survivorship. However, this is only a 'model-based' assumption and is only
correct when the population is large or it is extrapolated out over long
periods of time. Population viability models / theory doesn't apply very well
to small populations or short-term scenarios because this makes populations
very prone to short-term or unexpected stochastic variation. Read the
assumptions behind any PVA and always the same warnings appear.

So whilst I agree with the theory, I don't agree that we can assume that
removal of young is not going to have an impact. It's a great point you raise
though and it would be brilliant to get some further insights.

Regards,

Simon.