birding-aus

the walk of shame for Orange-bellied Parrots

To: "Simon Mustoe" <>, <>, <>, <>
Subject: the walk of shame for Orange-bellied Parrots
From: "storm" <>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 00:43:57 +1000
hey all

A small point on the removal of chicks as a strategy for improving the
survival of the species. I don't know but I suspect that pulling
chicks from a nest will have no impact on the eventual total wild
numbers.

This is because animals are being removed from the population when
they are at their most vulnerable and dispensable (to the population).
Based on other species, I'm guessing that if more than a third of OBP
that hatch successfully reproduce themselves that would be an
extraordinary thing.

In most species the population looks something like a triangle, with
animal that start dying at an alarming rate once they reach
independence. I imagine, although I don't know, that the OBP is no
different. Taking animals that would have almost certainly died anyway
isn't likely to be a huge loss for the population.

It's just a shame that while pulling chicks may reduce food completion
in the nest, it won't also remove the dangers of habitat destruction,
cars, raptors (who have to eat) and the various other dangers that
will take care of most of the rest of that age cohort.

I'm guessing that although the numbers look and sound large, the
impact to the wild population will be irrelevant while the impact to
the captive population will be priceless.

cheers
storm