birding-aus

ID assistance Gibberbird / Chat

To: "'birding-aus'" <>
Subject: ID assistance Gibberbird / Chat
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 02:02:21 +1000
Hi Bob,

I agree with others who say that the bird is an Orange Chat, for the reasons already outlined.

I'm surprised no-one else has commented that the bird appears to have a deformed bill. In both photos which show the bill it appears that the mandibles are crossed and unnaturally curved. I don't think it's an illusion caused by the bird carrying something. This could explain its uncharacteristic feeding method, as it might be difficult for it to pick up food from the ground. And it could explain why it was on its own.

Cheers,
Carol