birding-aus

Birdline Australia Weekly Update

To: <>
Subject: Birdline Australia Weekly Update
From: "Eremaea Birds" <>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 01:30:15 +1000
Birdline Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 2 May 2010.

Sun 2 May       Princess Parrot Nyapari, South Australia
8 individuals sighted, incl. one juv. with dull plumage. Resting in
Desert Oak woodland, flushed by sound of car, flew 50-100m. to
neighboring Des. Oak, going to ground occasionally amongst spinifex and
parakeelya. Observed for close to one hour by my partner and I, filmed &
photographed. (8). Access made possible through negotiation with
Traditional Owners of area (I teach in neighboring community)
David Hartland

Sat 1 May       Semipalmated Plover Broome, Western Australia
The Semipalmated Plover that has been present on and off in Broome, WA
since October of last year continues to show well (it was still present
on the 25th April). This is the first Australian record of this species.
Rohan Clarke

Thu 29 Apr      Regent Honeyeater Putty Road (update), New South Wales
A total of 12 Regents seen today at the Putty Rd site at Milbrodale. At
one stage 11 birds were gathered in a small wattle tree near a small
dam, before flying up to the road to feed on lerp (despite the fact that
there is blossom in the trees). Also Painted Button and Brown Quails in
the grass on the opposite side of the road. Lots of Striped HE's too.
Mick Roderick

Sat 24 Apr      New Zealand Storm-Petrel SOSSA Wollongong pelagic, New
South Wales
A single storm-petrel appearing to satisfy the key diagnostics to be a
very likely New Zealand Storm-Petrel, made 2 quick passes by the boat
today off Wollongong. Picture attached taken by Raja Stephensen - images
of this particular bird can be seen on the link below labelled as #16,
#17, & #18 in the storm-petrel gallery. It does not appear to be either
a White- or Black-bellied Storm-Petrel, as it did not show the belly
pattern of a Black-bellied nor the structure of a White-bellied. This
individual very closely resembles the bird seen off Port Stephens last
month.
Nikolas Haass, Raja Stephensen, Martin Cachard, Lindsay Smith, Rob
Hynson et al

Fri 23 Apr      Singing Honeyeater Durridgere Road Northeast of Ulan,
New South Wales
A pair of Singing Honeyeaters feeding two dependent young today on a
ridge approximately 8.5km along Durridgere Road Northeast of Ulan. Adult
birds noted carrying captured invertebrates to two other birds, which
were giving repeated plaintive single syllabic calls. The site is an
open shrubby woodland characterised by shrubs, Cypress Pines and Acacias
carrying mistletoe (S honeyeaters noted feeding upon). Styphelia shrub
is also flowering well and offering potential forage for honeyeaters. A
somwhat rarely observed species in the Hunter Region, particularly in,
what appears to be, the tail end of a pair's breeding cycle.
Allan Richardson

Mon 5 Apr       Scarlet Honeyeater, Swift Parrot, Maryborough
district,Vic, Victoria
Spent Easter weekend just south of Paddys Ranges, where we saw over 40
species, including male and female Scarlet Honeyeater, Swift Parrots
(approx 4), Western Gerygone, Crested Bellbird, and Hooded Robin (pair).
Also did a trip to nearby Amherst Geological Reserve no.2 (Big Quartz
reef) where I flushed what I think was a young White-throated Nightjar.
[Editorial note: this could be the most westerly report of Scarlet
Honeyeater on record.]
J. Flack

Birdline Australia is sponsored by Birds Australia
<http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au>  and co-ordinated and hosted by
Eremaea Birds <http://www.eremaea.com> .