birding-aus

Birdline Australia Weekly Update

To: <>
Subject: Birdline Australia Weekly Update
From: "Eremaea Birds" <>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 01:30:16 +1000
Birdline Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 30 May 2010.

Sun 30 May      Western Yellow Wagtail West Island Cocos-keeling Island,
Cocos-Keeling Islands
Australia's first Western Yellow Wagtail.
Richard Baxter

Sat 29 May      Semi-palmated Plover (update) Broome Sewage Works,
Western Australia
Semi-palmated Plover is still present at the Broome Sewerage Works.
Peter Struik & Toni Marsh (Wardens Broome Bird Observatory) per Tim
Dolby

Thu 27 May      Semi-palmated Plover Tuross Heads, New South Wales
I have now seen prints of the bird photographed last Saturday afternoon
22 May by Pattie Parker at Tuross Heads. It is a Semi-palmated
Plover!!!!! After a quick look, in my opinion, a female in at least
partial breeding plumage. Digital images taken from the prints will be
posted on Birdline Australia and Birdline NSW. The photos have lost
quality in the scanning process. The bird was not found in a search on
Monday and the weather since then has been appalling. Viewing the
photos, I thought that this was not the same individual that I last saw
in Broome in April. That is confirmed because the BBO tell me that the
Broome bird was still there at that time. It does however have some
likeness, (notched breast band), to a Semi-palmated Plover that has
been, maybe still is, in NZ! This doesn't necessarily invalidate
Pattie's claim of Little Ringed Plover (see #13569) at the same site on
Wednesday 5 May as there are some inconsistencies between the
description of that bird and these photos e.g. wholly black bill on that
bird, orange spot at base on this bird. GPS co-ordinates for that bird
were 36 degrees04'01"S 150degrees07'42"E. That bird was also not seen in
subsequent searches.
Pattie Parker per Mike Carter

Tue 25 May      Grey Falcon Mount Lyndhurst Station, SA, South Australia
Vik was energetically birding a few hundred metres away from the car. I
was asleep in the passenger seat. I don't know what awoke me from my
slumber (I suspect it was a loud girly scream from Vik - which he
denies) but as my eyes opened and I looked out upon the vivid blue sky I
saw a Grey Falcon zoom across it. For a split second I thought I was
still dreaming but then I scooped up my camera and ejected myself out of
that car quicker than a pilot from a crashing jet. Fortune smiled on me
one more time and the Grey Falcon, which I now saw was in the company of
a second Grey Falcon, for some reason wheeled around one time allowing
me to snap off one shot before they headed further away. I continued to
take a few photos as they moved off but they were a bit too far away for
a decent shot. A chuffed and puffed Vik then arrived and we animatedly
celebrated our good fortune in seeing this bird the pinnacle of our
entire trip and laughed at each other's story on what had occurred.
Vik and Larry Dunis per Tim Dolby

Sun 23 May      Antarctic Prion Port MacDonnell Pelagic, South Australia
A few Prions off shore from the 'whalebird' complex. Certainly some
Antarctic such as this bird. Others still under discussion.
Rob Morris et al on the pelagic

Sat 22 May      Possible Little Ringed Plover Tuross Heads, NSW, New
South Wales
Pattie Parker, the lady that found the Dunlin at Tuross Heads, NSW, in
January phoned me to report a Little Ringed Plover at the same site on 5
May. An Unusual Reports Sighting form with a very convincing description
and sketch was received at Birds Australia HQ today. It will now be
assessed by BARC. Although she and others searched, the bird was not
seen subsequently. However on Saturday 22 May, she discovered a similar
but not identical bird of which she obtained video footage or/and
photographs. I hope to view those photographs in the next few days and
will advise further.
Pattie Parker per Mike Carter

Birdline Australia is sponsored by Birds Australia
<http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au>  and co-ordinated and hosted by
Eremaea Birds <http://www.eremaea.com> .