birding-aus

Scarlet Honeyeater in North East Victoria

To: <>, <>
Subject: Scarlet Honeyeater in North East Victoria
From: Michael Ramsey <>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 20:21:23 +1000
This morning I observed a male Scarlet Honeyeater in the Killawarra Forest
north of Wangaratta in North East Victoria.
The record would most likely be the first record for this species in this area
for probably 30+ years.
This year however has been exceptional for this species in Victoria.

After popping up all over southern Victoria this one has finally appeared in
the north of the state. Conditions in the forest are excellent at present with
Mugga Ironbark and Grey Box flowering.
At the site where I saw this bird, I have also seen a Black Honeyeater a few
months ago which made me think of Simon Starr's post a few months back, if
Black and Scarlet Honeyeaters will appear together. Well they were not together
but were at the same site though.
Just before I saw the Scarlet Honeyeater I was watching a male Gilbert's
Whistler, now there are two birds which would be very rarely found at the same
site.
Michael Ramsey Wilby, Vic.http://bronzewingbirdingservices.blogspot.com/