birding-aus

Birdline NSW Weekly Update

To: <>
Subject: Birdline NSW Weekly Update
From: "Eremaea Birds" <>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 01:30:38 +1000
Birdline NSW

Published sightings for the week ending 31 Jan 2010.

Sun 31 Jan      Masked Owl Weston, Kurri Kurri, Hunter Valley, NSW
A loud squeeling noise in the neighbours yard revealed a flying fox in
distress. Upon inspection a Masked Owl was found holding the flying fox.
It was perched within a Hoop Pine. Consulting HANZAB it says that only
microbats (less than 1%) have been recorded as prey. I watch on as the
owl dismembered the flying fox. A very interesting sighting.
Steve Roderick

        Eastern Osprey Elanora Heights Reserve, Narrabeen
Single adult bird flying over Narrabeen Sports Academy, then over the
creek and reserve. Unsuccessful search for Black Bittern.
Max Breckenridge

        Rockwarbler Chiltern Trail, Ingleside
Pair of warblers seen well around large sandstone platform on the right
of the track at about the halfway mark. Yellow-tufted and White-eared
Honeyeaters seen along with the more common HE species, needletails
around too.
Max & Lloyd Breckenridge

Sat 30 Jan      Australian Shelduck Moss Vale (wetlands on the way to
Berrima - off Berrima Rd.)
17 birds were present at the sale yard wetlands in mid-afternoon - an
impressive number.
Lorne Johnson

        Red-tailed Tropicbird North Head, Manly
This afternoon in the company of Michael Ronan, we saw a Red-tailed
Tropicbird, one White-necked Petrel, one Streaked Shearwater and a
Black-browed Albatross. During the morning Michael Ronan also saw a Shy
Albatross.
Ivan Chapman & Michael Ronan

        Olive-backed Oriole Bilgola Plateau
A young Olive-backed Oriole just flew into a window of the house
(09.00), thanks to the Noisy Miners chasing and harassing it. Twenty
minutes of sun-bathing in a basket with a nice comfortable towel on the
deck and then, apparently recovered, it flew off towards the creek and
ferns. I guess from its age it had been bred locally: one the Koels
missed!
Alan McBride

Fri 29 Jan      Black Noddy & Wandering Tattler(c2) Flat Rock, Ballina
Single Black Noddy observed feeding just off Flat Rock, also a small
number of unidentified Jaegers & Shearwaters. The Wandering Tattlers can
still be seen most days feeding around the edges of Flat Rock.
Steve McBride

        Powerful Owl Monash Rd, Gladesville
Individual PO calling for 10 minutes from 9:06pm in trees about 100m
from my backyard. They have been seen by my neighbour's in their
backyard and across the road. I have observed them in the nearby Field
of Mars also.
Max Breckenridge

Thu 28 Jan      Regent Bowerbird North Rocks (near Darling Mills Creek)
A first for my backyard this evening - a female (or young male) Regent
Bowerbird first heard in a tree in the neighbour's yard. Went out and
got enough of a look to see that although the light was bad it was too
small for a Satin (plus the call was wrong). First time I have heard of
one in this area.
David Stowe

        Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo Frenches Forest
A single bird seen flying over Frenches Forest.
Nathan Ruser

Wed 27 Jan      Buller's Shearwater North Head, Sydney
A single Buller's Shearwater was the highlight of seabird watching from
North Head.
Ivan Chapman

        Scarlet Robin - male Nepean Dam entrance road

Judith & Neil RUSSILL

        Ground Parrot,Chestnut-rumped Heathwren,Topknot Pigeons Barren
grounds
A 3 hour walk today produced 24 species, with the highlights being. On
the service trail, 1 ground parrot in the middle of the track which was
flushed as I got within 10 Metres. It flew about 20 Metres and again
landed on the track. This time I got within 5 Metres before it took off
and flew onto the heath. Also a single Chestnut rumped heathwren, was
beside the track, and 2 Bristle birds were seen. 2 Beautiful Firetail
were found at the picnic area, and at the wardens house I was watching a
Pilot bird, when about 12 Topknot pigeons flew over.
Jim O'Shea

        Blue-billed Duck Woodlands Rd., Mittagong
Single male present on farm dam for the last week.
Terry Dunlea

Tue 26 Jan      Pacific Baza Turramurra
Three Baza foraging through high canopy for half an hour midmorning. One
making continuous wheezing cry - other two silent. The Killara birds
perhaps.
Harry Roberts

        Scaley-breasted Lorikeets, White-bellied Sea-eagle Marsden Park
Very early this morning I saw a few Scaley-breasted Lorikeets with a few
Rainbow and hundreds (if not a thousand) Musk Lorikeets feeding on the
flowering Grey Box. Musk Lorikeets are abundant in the Blacktown area at
the moment. Also seen were one or two adult White-bellied Sea-eagles (I
have had a pair of these around Marsden Park within the last few months
and one of a few pairs around the Blacktown shire).
Edwin Vella

        Oriental Cuckoo, Black Bittern, Grey Goshawk Western Sydney
Parklands at Glendenning (approx. 5km west of Blacktown CBD)
This morning I woke up thinking that an Oriental Cuckoo was waiting for
me at the Western Sydney Parklands and to my amazement it was actually
there! I was expecting to see one in my local area sooner or later. It
was feeding on caterpillars along the creek and appeared to hang around
the same stretch for the 3 hours I was there quite wary but managed to
get close withing 5 -10 metres of the bird (it may not be the same if a
lot of birders suddenly turn up). Also to my surprise I managed to see a
male Black Bittern (one of a pair at least residing here) at the same
spot as the Oriental Cuckoo (a few hundred metres from Richmond Rd along
Eastern Creek). Also good to see was a Grey Goshawk, a Brown Goshawk
perched in the same tree for a very long time, 3 Dollarbirds, Sacred
Kingfisher, Scarlet Honeyeater, Dusky Woodswallows and load of
Mistletoebirds.
Edwin Vella, Mark Fuller and John DeHeume

Mon 25 Jan      White-throated Gerygone, Yellow-tufted Honeyeaters,
Common Bronzewing, Black-faced Monarch Chiltern Trail, Ingleside
White-throated Gerygone in the flowering gum trees, alongside flocks of
yellow-tufted honeyeaters. Great to see! Also heard a common and brush
bronzewing calling near the track, and a black-faced monarch in the
eucalypts. I would have thought the heathland/banksia woodland would be
an unlikely home for this species, it may have just been visiting. Also
many New Holland, White-eared and White-cheeked Honeyeaters,
mistletoebirds and spinebills.
Henry Coleman

        White-headed Pigeon Barrenjoey Rd, between Mona Vale and Newport
One White-headed Pigeon on telephone wire, late morning.
Alan McBride

Sun 24 Jan      Little Terns, Common Terns, Eastern Curlews and other
waders Pelican Island, Port Macquarie
At 11.00am 39 Pacific Golden Plovers (not seen during the wader survey
on the 15th of January). They were on the mud-flats in the middle of the
island on the eastern side. Also present were Bar-tailed Godwits,
Red-necked Stints, Eastern Curlews, Common, Crested and Little Terns
Ian Kerr

Fri 22 Jan      Pacific Baza suburb beside Lane Cove Park West Pymble
Spotted for the first time in my garden. It was so hot she was trying to
get to my bird bath but was moved on by the nasty noisy miners! A
gorgeous bird!
Gillian Hankinson

        Little Penguin Swansea Inlet
One bird seen swimming close to northern breakwall of Swansea Inlet
Carl Corden and James Schlunke

        barn owl freeman's reach
one adult barn owl perched on powerlines Freeman's Reach Road at 1130
p.m. in area of turf farms
David Potter

Thu 21 Jan      Barn Owl, Southern Emu-wren Old Gibber Road Track, Myall
Lakes NP
Barn Owl seen in large angophora on the main road just outside the
entrance to the Old Gibber Road Track/Boomeri campground, approx 9pm.
Further up the track in the heathland area were Tawny Crowned
Honeyeater, Southern Emu-wren and hordes of White Cheeked Honeyeaters -
but no sight or sound of Grass Owls
Tom Wilson

        Wedge-tailed Eagle Hobartville, near Richmond NSW
Perched on the metal frame piece of my washing line briefly this morning
at 6.15am wasa Wedge-tailed Eagle. I heard it 'keening' and came out to
see it resting there for a minute or so and then spead it's magnificent
wings and take off.
Yatra Sherwood

Fri 1 Jan       Australian Shelduck, Blue-billed Duck, Musk Duck
Woodlands Rd Mittagong 34 26.512 150 22.418
Farm pond north of the road as previously reported for Blue-bill
Michael Barton & Ann Young

, Birds Australia - Southern NSW & ACT
<http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au/basna>  and Cumberland Bird Observers
Club <http://www.cboc.org.au/>  and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea