birding-aus

Birdline NSW Weekly Update

To: <>
Subject: Birdline NSW Weekly Update
From: "Eremaea Birds" <>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 01:31:50 +1000
Birdline NSW

Published sightings for the week ending 24 Jan 2010.

Sun 24 Jan      Ground Parrot, Eastern Bristlebird, Pacific Baza Barren
Grounds NR & Budderoo NP, Illawarra
On a very drizzly morning today, 3 Ground Parrots were recorded at
Barren Grounds NR. A quick walk in the rain around Budderoo Plateau
yielded 5 Eastern Bristlebirds near the track, with 1 right at the gate!
Plenty of Southern Emu-wrens were present at both locations & a group of
about 15-20 Gang-Gang Cockatoos were seen at Budderoo. A lone Pacific
Baza was then recorded at the Minnamurra Falls section of Budderoo, high
up the gorge. Pacific Baza is rare this far south in the Illawarra
region.
Martin Cachard & Paul Bruty

Sat 23 Jan      Common Tern, Little Tern Bennetts Beach, Hawks Nest
Both seen fishing close into beach (easily observed without binoculars
while out in the surf). 2 Little Terns but 5 or 6 Commons. (Pair of
Little Terns also seen here on 21 Jan.) Lots of Crested Terns also
fishing, plus one harrassing Pomarine Jaeger. (The small bait fish were
very close in, with bigger fish obviously a bit further out, as were the
sharks that caused us to evacuate the water on Saturday morning!)
Tom Wilson

        Yellow-nosed Albatross, Black-browed Albatross, Long-tailed
Jaeger, Sooty Shearwater SOSSA pelagic, off Wollongong
Today aboard the vessel 'Sandra K' off Wollongong on the SOSSA pelagic
we observed the following: 1 adult Yellow-nosed Albatross (very rare
species here in January); 3 imm Black-browed Albatross (NZ Campbell race
'impavida' very uncommon species here in January); 5 Long-tailed Jaeger
(regular but rare visitor here in January); & 2 Sooty Shearwater
(regular but rare species here anytime). Other highlights were: good
numbers of Flesh-footed & Short-tailed Shearwaters, with huge numbers of
Wedge-tailed Shearwaters; 2 Hutton's & 2 Fluttering Shearwaters; and
plenty of both Arctic & Pomarine Jaegers. All on-board were brought to a
sudden jolt at 2pm when the southerly change hit with massive winds on a
large swell & made the trip very exciting for all - the change could
well have been responsible for the albatross sightings of species not
normally seen here at this time of year. A pod of 10-20 Pygmy Killer
Whales came to check us out when we were off the shelf-break.
Martin Cachard

        Long-tailed Jaeger & Sooty Shearwater Magic Point, Maroubra
Approximately 20 Flesh-footed, 2 Sooty, 25 Short-tailed, 7 Fluttering
and around 1500 Wedge-tailed Shearwaters seen today. We also saw about
60 Pomarine, 4 Arctic and 2 Long-tailed Jaegers.
David Mitford and Paul Derbyshire

        Square-tailed Kite New England Hwy, East Maitland
One bird seen soaring in hot, gusty conditions. Regularly seen at this
location.
Grant Brosie

Fri 22 Jan      Square-tailed Kite Lower Pappinbarra (west of Port
Macquarie)
Immature gliding low over the trees along the river at 6.30pm heading
west. The first I have seen in the Pappinbarra valley (30 years).
Ian Kerr

        Red-tailed Tropicbird Murramarang Beach, Bawley Point
A dead specimen was found washed up on the beach.
Margaret Hamon

        Glossy Black-Cockatoo Nords Wharf Rd, Nords Wharf, Lake
Macquarie
3 birds flew over the house today at 6pm. It seems that there is an
adult pair living locally, however the great news now is that they were
accompanied today by a youngster in juvenile plumage. A positive sign
for a rare species.
Martin Cachard

Thu 21 Jan      Barking Owl Chester St Warren NSW
At 2.30 am this morning I thought I heard a Barking Owl calling near my
motel. I got up, collected my spotlight and found two Barking Owls in a
local park adjacent to trees where Galahs were roosting!
Alan Morris

        Tree Martin Eveleigh
12 were seen hawking over a large Ficus at the entrance to the
Australian Technology Park, Eveleigh. Although not a rare species, Tree
Martin's are not common in suburban Sydney.
Kurtis Lindsay

Wed 20 Jan      Regent Bowerbird Mungo Brush, Myall Lakes NP
Separate sightings of male and a female feeding 2 young at points on the
rainforest walk. Also plenty of Large Billed Scrubwren & several Black
Faced Monarchs.
Tom Wilson

        Magpie Goose, Plumed Whistling-Duck Macquarie Marshes NR and
adjacent areas
5 Magpie Geese were seen in the newly filled wetland on the western side
of Monkeygar Creek, Macquarie Marshes along the Gibson Way. Local rains
have raised water levels in the Marshes and there was alot of activity
by White and Straw-necked Ibis.On a wetland on the Warren-Carinda Rd on
the western side of the marshes near Maxwelton HSD, there were 2 Plumed
Whistling-Ducks. At Binnaway, on 18/1 in a temporary wetland on the
estern side of town there were another 18 Plumed Whistling-Ducks (my
first record for the area) and on 19/1 there was another at Carmel
Lagoon, Terridgerie.
Alan & Anne Morris, Neil and Gillian Friswell

Tue 19 Jan      Grey Goshawk Field of Mars Reserve, Ryde
An individual Grey Goshawk flew over Buffalo Creek, Field of Mars at
approximately 7:30pm. It was being mobbed by Noisy Miners and Pied
Currawongs. This is not far from a Brown Goshawk nesting site. Despite
this the Brown Goshawks were not present.
Kurtis Lindsay and participants of Ryde council bird walk

        Forest Kingfisher Taylors Beach, Port Stephens
One male seen on edge of Paperbark swamp on private property at Taylors
Beach, near Nelson Bay. Very rare for the Hunter Valley. After brief
views, flew around edge of swamp and unable to be re-located.
Steve Roderick

Sun 17 Jan      Pacific Baza West Pymble
Perched in tree adjacent to the netball courts
Chris Murray & Saba Murray (aged 7)

        Wandering Wistling Duck Bushels Lagoon, Hawkesbury
Two Wandering Wistling Ducks with other water birds. Plenty of waders -
48 sharp-tailed sandpipers were feeding in the very shallow water.
Ted Wnorowski

Sat 16 Jan      Wandering Tattler Hastings Point
At this time last year a group of Wandering Tattlers were sighted on the
rocks near the waterline on the southern side of the headland at
Hastings Point, on the NSW far north coast. At least one bird is at the
same location again this year.
Jim Smart

Fri 15 Jan      Laughing Gull Lord Howe Island
We returned to the site where the Laughing Gull was first sighted on the
12th. After sometime searching unsuccessfully, it was relocated, and
better shots were obtained (see image). I have had confirmation from the
mainland that the bird is a Laughing Gull. As far as I am aware, it was
last found on the 16th, by a different birder. [Moderator's Note: There
seems to be little doubt that this bird is a Laughing Gull, but official
confirmation is subject to BARC review].
Ashwin, David and Madeleine Rudder

, Birds Australia - Southern NSW & ACT
<http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au/basna>  and Cumberland Bird Observers
Club <http://www.cboc.org.au/>  and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea