birding-aus

Birdline Australia Weekly Update

To: <>
Subject: Birdline Australia Weekly Update
From: "Eremaea Birds" <>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 01:30:29 +1000
Birdline Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 24 Jan 2010.

Fri 15 Jan      Laughing Gull Lord Howe Island, New South Wales
We returned to the site where the Laughing Gull was first sighted on the
12th. After sometime searching unsuccessfully, it was relocated, and
better shots were obtained (see image). I have had confirmation from the
mainland that the bird is a Laughing Gull. As far as I am aware, it was
last found on the 16th, by a different birder. [Moderator's Note: There
seems to be little doubt that this bird is a Laughing Gull, but official
confirmation is subject to BARC review].
Ashwin, David and Madeleine Rudder

Tue 5 Jan       Grey Falcon Barkely Homestead Block, Northern Territory
Observed for approx 30 seconds. Unmistakeably a Falcon. Distinctly
light-grey. Located 3km West of Barkley Homestead along Highway. Flew up
from edge of grassline, circled low and flew north just above scrub-top.
Very distinct, heavyset, pointed wings, strong quick wingbeat with short
glide. .
Mick Jerram - Top End Birdfinder

Birdline Australia is sponsored by Birds Australia
<http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au>  and co-ordinated and hosted by
Eremaea Birds <http://www.eremaea.com> .