birding-aus

Semipalmated Plover Broome Sewage works

To: <>
Subject: Semipalmated Plover Broome Sewage works
From: "Wedderburn Birding" <>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 19:14:39 +1100
To add to Steve's comments:

Shorebirds, An Identification Guide, by Hayman et al, states that, "The only
certain distinctions of the Semipalmated from Ringed Plover are the greater
degree of webbing between the toes, a shorter and narrower wingbar, and
call." Has clear palmations between all three front toes. Flight call is
sufficiently distinct from that of Ringed to allow confident identification
on call alone. In addition the Ringed Plover and the Semipalmated Plover are
sometimes considered cospecific in view of reported interbreeding.

Birds of Northern South America, by Restall, states that, "The Semipalmated
Plover is virtually identical to the Common Ringed Plover; differs in having
postocular part of eyebrow much shorter, bill smaller and finer, and
breast-band narrower in all plumages. Common Ringed Plover has no webbing
between outer toes and very little between inner two. Semipalmated Plover
has conspicuous webbing between outer two toes and little between inner two.
This is a very difficult field mark but quite apparent in the hand. Very
difficult to separate from Common Ringed Plover and side-by-side comparison
desirable."

Collins Bird Guide of Britain & Europe, by Svenson et al, states that, "The
Semipalmated Plover is very similar to the Ringed Plover, except it is
slightly smaller, and all front toes are obviously webbed. In all plumages
the Semipalmated Plover has a thin pale orbital ring which is lacking on the
Ringed Plover except for some adult males. Call differs markedly from Ringed
Plover.

There are similar comments from other field guides and whilst there are
minor plumage differences between the Ringed and Semipalmated, they are
consistent in that other than measuring the birds or comparing side by side,
the best identification is the palmations and call.

Regards,
Bruce