birding-aus

Black-headed Gull ID

To: <>, <>
Subject: Black-headed Gull ID
From: Simon Mustoe <>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 16:12:51 +0000
Nikolas,

My initial thoughts were the same but I would still err towards Black-headed
Gull. The heavily bicoloured bill, total lack of white in the primaries and
thick black tail band are good features. The angle's not good though...a shot
that shows the wing open is much easier, as in Marc's.

!!Though I am happy to be corrected...please do!

I am going to be amongst loads of winter plumage Black-headed Gulls in a day or
two. I will take loads of photos and put up some information on the species for
some direct comparison. For now, here is the current Silver Gull page on
Wildiaries: http://aussiebirding.wildiaries.com/species/19586 which shows a
reasonable range of plumages.

Regards,

Simon.