birding-aus

Laughing Gull, Lord Howe & Black-headed Gull, Darwin

To: "Tom Tarrant" <>, "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: Laughing Gull, Lord Howe & Black-headed Gull, Darwin
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 22:30:19 +1100
I support the observers claim that it is Laughing Gull. It is a juvenile.
I do however challenge the ID of the standing 'Black-headed Gull' (in quotes) at Darwin on same site and reports of the bird at that location that had no black spot behind the eye. Other photos of what appears to be a different bird around Darwin are correctly identified as Black-headed Gull.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mount Eliza  VIC 3930
Tel  (03) 9787 7136

From: "Tom Tarrant" <>
To: "Simon Mustoe" <>

Are we certain that this is a Laughing Gull? I'm no expert but it looks very
dark and deeper-billed to others that I've seen.
Would welcome the views of others more knowledgeable.....

Tom