birding-aus

Eastern Koels take Victoria

To: "Tim Dolby" <>, "Lawrie Conole" <>, "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Eastern Koels take Victoria
From: "Tim Dolby" <>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 00:56:49 +1100
Hi all,

As an aside to this, it's worth noting that Eastern Koel, like Channel-billed
Cuckoo (also moving south), rely on host species, being brood parasitic on sp
such as Pied Currawong (also doing well), wattlebird, friarbird, Australian
Figbird, Olive-backed Oriole to name a few.

Yet in Victoria I've not heard of Eastern Koel forming host breeding
relationships. This may simply not have been observed in Victoria; or perhaps
the numbers of birds (i.e. approx 32 Vic Koel in 2009) has meant that pairing
just hasn't happened? It's certainly common in the far south-coast of NSW.

Cheers,

Tim