birding-aus

Eastern Koels take Victoria - and Fig trees

To: "Ivor Preston" <>, "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Eastern Koels take Victoria - and Fig trees
From: "michael norris" <>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 13:28:06 +1100
Hi all

Didn't notice the email below on Birding-Aus. But Ivor is right and my posting about all our Koels in Bayside being associated with Moreton Bay Figs is questionable.

It just demonstrated how (when relaxed) I can let an idea take over the facts. And my notes actually include "inspected [Minnie St] on 7/12/2008 and no signs of MBFs - and no resident remembers them" !

That said Ivor recorded a female Koel on his block in 1986 and 87 (and 1988?) and from 1989 to 1993 another(?) female was frequently at a large block just under 1km away that has at least two MBFs.

Anyhow they clearly do not feed solely on MBFs. But our reported male in 2006 and 2003 male were mainly seen in/near open spaces with MBFs. In the latter case a bird was heard about 1km away, and a possible female was reported in a garden where other species were feeding on apricots).

Thanks Ivor.

Michael Norris

37° 59' S  145° 0' E