birding-aus

Digital Cameras for recording sightings

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Digital Cameras for recording sightings
From: David Adams <>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 15:28:19 +1100
On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 1:44 PM, Andrew Bell <> wrote:

> The slightly long answer:

Thanks for the great post.

As the thread has wandered into the territory of higher end gear, it's
worth saying that people may want to consider importing their own
gear. The $A goes up and down a lot more than prices in local shops.
With the $A at a very strong point, you can probably get a substantial
discount by buying from a shop in New York, even with
shipping/insurance/import. I haven't compared camera gear lately but
regularly compare computer gear and it's just really painful to buy
anything here in $A. For whatever combination of historical reasons,
consumers in Australia are used to paying _way_ more for identical kit
to their cousins in the US.

This business of buying direct form the US has come up many times on
the list so I won't go on at any greater length...