birding-aus

Re: Subject: [Birding-Aus] Re 'Jabiru'

To: Chris Sanderson <>
Subject: Re: Subject: [Birding-Aus] Re 'Jabiru'
From: Mark Carter <>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 11:10:48 +0000 (GMT)
Chris.
On any given night in an Alice Springs supermarket que up to 10 aboriginal
languages can be heard being spoken enthusiastically and (I have to assume)
fluently!
I don't want to sell aboriginal folk as some sort of noble savages but it
really is the case that many traditional people out here have a relationship
with their birds which goes far beyond eating them- I have been pretty amazed
by the depth of  bird knowledge in traditional stories out in the Red Centre,
but also the variety- I have been told 3 radically different stories about
willie wagtails by people from different language groups. Birds had other uses
besides food- zebra finch (or should that be zebra waxbill?) behaviour for
example in most desert regions is a great way to find surface water as they
have to drink very frequently.
Most names for birds seem to be derived from their calls- zebra finch locally
to Alice is called 'nink' or 'ninka' which is of course the usual call they
make! It makes many of them quite elegant and adds an extra element to birding
by ear when you know some of these names.
With regards the pronounciation of the names I have found the modern written
phonetics developed by academics linguists to be a real hinderance for us
english speakers. For example, willie wagtail in Eastern Arrernte (roughly
pronounced 'Arranda') is spelled Artityerrityerre but pronounced
'ar-didge-a-didge' which is a really good approximation of a willie wagtail
alarm call. I recon stuff the linguists and just write it Ar-didge-a-didge!
Perhaps us birders need to explore this idea further? I hear Bob Gosford up in
the Tanami is on the verge of publishing a book on ethno-ornithology which will
hopefully inspire more thought on this:
http://blogs.crikey.com.au/northern/2009/08/23/why-birds-culture-and-language-are-relevantand-interesting/