birding-aus

'Jabiru' and nomenclature

To: <>, "'Mark Carter'" <>, "'birding aus'" <>
Subject: 'Jabiru' and nomenclature
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 16:02:20 +1100
Hideous to think that anyone would call a wombat a badger! Is that
really true? Surely not! They are not remotely similar.

Then again it is just as absurd to call our Magpie a Magpie. Sure we
call it an Australian Magpie but think about how much keystrokes and ink
that wastes over all the writing about birds that we do. Just to give
the wrong impression that the creature is somehow some kind of
Australian version of something else of the northern hemisphere that
happens to also be black and white and of similar size.

Aboriginal names are full of problems, as there are so many of them and
they do not necessarily follow a species concept. More importantly their
use would lose links to widely used names of related species elsewhere.
E.g. there are probably many Aboriginal names for the Wedge-tailed Eagle
but we should not use them because we should not lose the connection
that it is an eagle. I would only suggest their use in a very small
number of cases for very distinctive endemic or mostly Australian groups
(but don't ask me which). In contrast, my suggestion of a bird group
name of "Cush" as Cuckoo-shrike is to create a new name that dispenses
with the old and silly name and yet its origin still refers to it
(simply by being a truncation). This is just an ordinary part of
evolution of language.

Philip Veerman
24 Castley Circuit
Kambah  ACT  2902