birding-aus

Twitter Problems

To: "'Simon Mustoe'" <>, <>
Subject: Twitter Problems
From: "Paul Dodd" <>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 21:58:21 +1100
Simon,

I thought I had best reply to this since it was me that set up the Twitter
feeds from all the Birdlines and from birding-aus.

I would have replied sooner, only I have spent this weekend participating in
the Victorian Twitchathon.

1. After experimenting with a number of different mechanisms I eventually
settled on TwitterFeed to provide an EXPERIMENTAL feed from the Birdlines
and birding-aus. It was absolutely vital to do it this way because the
purpose of the experiment was twofold - (i) to test available technologies;
and (ii) to test the level of interest from the Australian birding
community. In my original postings when I introduced the feeds I stated both
of these objectives.

1a. I have asked Richard and Margaret Alcorn to look at the possibility of
adding a direct Twitter feed from the Birdlines (thus bypassing the
TwitterFeed approach). However, I have also said that there is no point in
doing this until we have sufficient interest to make the development
worthwhile.

1b. birding-aus uses a list manager called "MailMan" that does not directly
support feeds. As a result, the EXPERIMENTAL process (stress on
experimental) is to convert the list entries - emails - to a blog, then use
the blogging engine's functionality to produce an RSS feed. This RSS feed is
converted to Twitter using TwitterFeed. This approach was selected because,
whilst round-about, does actually work. However, it also requires management
- in particular, removing older entries from the blog, so the RSS
feed/TwitterFeed combination works without error. Unfortunately I have had
other things to do, and have not had a chance to deal with this presently. I
am reasonably sure that I will be able to rectify the problem within a few
days. In the meantime, Russell has told me that he is interested in
replacing MailMan with a more sophisticated product that will allow
additional functionality - including the ability to generate feeds.

2. Regarding the ephemeral nature of Twitter. Surely this is the entire
point. There was never any consideration of replacing the birding-aus
archives or the existing Birdline pages or archives. The driver was to
produce a FEED that could be incorporated into other sites, including
Facebook, or devices, including iPhone. For example, I follow (subscribe to)
the Birdline Twitter feed so that I receive Birdline reports direct to my
iPhone. In addition, I have a desktop widget that displays the Victorian
Birdline entries on my computer desktop.

3. I dispute your argument that Twitter is not the right tool "if we have
any interest in using posts to generate sightings information". Currently
there is absolutely no facility for posting sightings by Twitter. I won't
even think about looking at this until there is sufficient interest. In
addition, it should not matter HOW people choose to receive their
notifications - email, Twitter, SMS, looking at Birdline web pages. What
matters is the process behind receiving sightings, moderating them, and then
providing them through whatever channel there is a demand for - including
Twitter.

4. I further question your statement "Rampant use of TwitterFeed is starting
to dilute the value of what could be a very useful tool for birding". In
particular - what is "rampant" use of TwitterFeed. I have configured a total
of seven feeds - what makes this "rampant"? Also, how does provision of
information through feeds, whether they be RSS feeds, Twitter feeds, or any
other sort of feed dilute the value of a very useful tool for birding?
Surely the entire point is to disseminate information, and all we are doing
is debating the mechanism by which this is done.

All the best,

Paul Dodd
Docklands, Victoria