birding-aus

Yellow Backed Lory - Not a new Australian Bird

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Yellow Backed Lory - Not a new Australian Bird
From: "Tom and Mandy Wilson" <>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 21:41:58 +1100

Hi all
I was browsing the bird calendars at Dymocks in Sydney the other day, looking to see which one I was going to ask for as a Christmas present, when I encountered a calendar titled "Birds of Australia" by David Messent publications. "Mr. December" was a Yellow Backed Lory, which from what I have worked out is a native of the Moluccas and Indonesia, so unless either: - there is a planned influx in 2010 that we don't know about yet and it will qualify by December; or - one has been seen on Christmas island or a similar territory close to Indonesia
it would not qualify as an Australian bird.
Does anybody check these calendars for accuracy? (You'd hate to be a birding tourist coming here expecting to see one because it was on the calendar somebody sent you...)
Cheers
Tom Wilson