birding-aus

Request for feathers

To: Michelle Robinson <>
Subject: Request for feathers
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 09:08:13 +1100
I guess because of the difficulty distinguishing found feathers from feathers
from birds killed for that purpose, all possession must be considered illegal,
otherwise they could never get any convictions.

I've been intending to photograph the feathers of the next dead bird I find,
but haven't found any yet.  Does anyone know if there are any legal problems
with posessing photos of them, especially when the photo obviously shows
they're still on the dead bird?

I'll take this opportunity to post again this link to the U.S. National Fish
and Wildlife Forensics Laboratory's Feather Atlas Website:
http://www.lab.fws.gov/featheratlas

I wish we had something like that. I asked about a year ago if anyone was
interested in a local version, but only got one response.

Peter Shute