birding-aus

FW: [Birding-Aus] Re: Brown Goshawk or Collared Sparrowhawk

To: "'Birding Aus'" <>
Subject: FW: [Birding-Aus] Re: Brown Goshawk or Collared Sparrowhawk
From: "Mark and Mandy Young" <>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 10:07:54 +1100
Hi Peter,

I went to Warriewood yesterday afternoon and they were still there. My
raptor id'ing skills are still developing, so thankfully David Stowe was
able to ID them as Brown Goshawks.

I don't think he'ld mind if I post his observations from another forum;
'I went down today to check out your birds and I must admit that I was wrong
with the Sparrowhawk suggestion sorry. definitely Brown Goshawks. When I
arrived I saw the female fly off and she was indeed a big bird as your
original photo showed which immediately ruled out Sparrowhawk. The male
stayed for a bit allowing a few photos clearly showing the rounded tail and
"beetle-brow"'.

>From yesterday's observation; The birds flew in after I had been waiting for
about 30mins. The smaller male flew in first, then the much larger female
about 5 mins later. They called quite often whilst I was there, and checking
the description of the calls on the birds in backyards website, their calls
sounded more like the description to the Brown Goshawks, than for the
Collared Sparrowhawks.
I also noted the size difference between the 2 sexes. The female was much
larger than the smaller male, but in the attached photo she does seem a
little 'fluffed' up.

Male http://tinyurl.com/yhdhggk
Female http://tinyurl.com/yjtfvdo

The 'beetle brow' is more apparent in these shots than in my original shots
of the 2 birds together.

I'll be popping down to have a look at them at least once a week. So if you
want to keep up to date with them, I'll be putting a regular post about them
in my blog. http://myoungbirding.blogspot.com/
I haven't done one for yesterday yet, but it should be up sometime later
this evening.

Regards,
Mark