birding-aus

Square-tailed kite at Scotts Head

Subject: Square-tailed kite at Scotts Head
From: John Clifton-Everest <>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 10:51:55 +1000
On a weekend visit down to Scotts Head from Armidale, I was surprised on
Saturday to find a Square-tailed Kite cruising above the bushland behind the
main beach. By two criteria (little maps in the field-guides and the habitat
itself) it seemed an unusual find.  I had better views than ever before of
this species.  It passed southwards over the bushland behind us, being
savagely attacked by a Drongo and a Magpie.  Then it went above the headland
to the South, where a Brahminy Kite was soaring, fishing in the small bay
beyond.  I had them both in the same field of view, but they seemed to
ignore each other completely.  Then the ST Kite came back northwards above
the surf, this time attacked by a Masked Lapwing, which once forced it
virtually on to its back.  At one point it was no more than ten metres from
us. Finally it disappeared into the bush a few hundred metres to the North.
John Clifton-Everest