birding-aus

Nectar and Flying-foxes on the NSW Mid North Coast

Subject: Nectar and Flying-foxes on the NSW Mid North Coast
From: Brian Hawkins <>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 16:29:01 -0700 (PDT)
Something strange has happened in Bellingen on the NSW Mid North Coast - for
only the second time this century, the Flying-fox camp is empty.

Yet there are still moderately good supplies of nectar around (certainly better
than this time last year), with Banksias, Forest Red Gums and some coastal
Blackbutts all flowering.

For the Flying-foxes to have left, there must be intense flowering somewhere
else, probably within a night's flight (around 250km).  Other times the
Bellingen camp has emptied, it has been in response to Forest Red Gum
(Eucalyptus tereticornis) blossoming near Bungawalbin, or to White Box
(Eucalyptus albens) blossoming on the north-western slopes.

Does anyone know where the Bellingen Flying-foxes might be?

(A Flying-fox is a bird, right?)

Brian

P.S. A gentleman responded to my last email about Red Wattlebirds to say this
his birding club had, unusually, seen one in southern Queensland.  I wanted to
thank him, but his email seems to have disappeared from my system.  Apologies!