birding-aus

Swift Parrot ID tips - a few observations - corrections and additions in

To: "" <>
Subject: Swift Parrot ID tips - a few observations - corrections and additions invited
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 09:34:05 +1000
Thanks for these notes, David.  I notice there have been no public replies, so
I assume no one disagrees with them.

I don't have anything to add, I just wanted to say that my first (and only)
sighting was just like yours, 99% sure, but not sure enough.  I posted my
sighting to this list a few months ago, but got no repsonses either.

I was alerted to a pair of parrots by their odd call as they swooped low over
me in the back yard in Altona (Melbourne), then landed in plain view in a tree
20m away.  They were gone before I had time to get binoculars, but I was able
to tell that they were very small, so not Rainbows or Red-rumped parrots, and
had very long pointy tails, so not Musks.

I compared their flight call to that on the BOCA CDs.  It was similar but not
identical.  One was "clearer" than the other, can't remember which. If it was
identical I would have reported the sighting officially.  Is the "laughing"
call you describe made in flight, or while feeding?

Actually, one point regarding your observations.  You say that Rainbow
Lorikeets fly straight, but I've noticed that they seem to do this odd thing
where they periodically twist like they've skipped a few beats with one wing,
which causes them to lose a bit of height suddenly.

Peter Shute