birding-aus

Nectar and Flying-foxes on the NSW Mid North Coast

To: "Brian Hawkins" <>, <>
Subject: Nectar and Flying-foxes on the NSW Mid North Coast
From: "storm" <>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 15:26:10 +1000
Hi Brian

A night's flying for a flying-fox is a bit closer to 100km, not 250km. A
really large male that is pushing it might make 130km.

I assume you are joking about the flying-foxes being birds. Unfortunately
I've had a humour by-pass (and not for the first time) so I can't tell. If
not, flying-foxes are a mammal, a megabat (or Megachiroptera).

Recently there was spectacular flowering an hour south of Nowra. Most of
Sydney camps emptied out (except for the RBG and Kareela). The camp down
there at the time was estimated to be over 100,000 animals, perhaps as high
as 200,000.

As flying-foxes can be willing to travel 900km (or more) for a good
flowering I don't know where the Bellengin mob might be.  And annoyingly,
when they come back, they will not be willing to tell.

cheers
storm