birding-aus

Magpie attacks

To: "Birding Australia" <>
Subject: Magpie attacks
From: "Terry Bishop" <>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 10:34:01 +1000
I have never been swooped even though as a kid I have walked/ridden areas
that were declared very dangerous. On the old three term Aug./Sept.
holidays, going to the same place for about ten years, the magpies swooping
the locals who were amazed that the magpies would not attack me. I have
always tried to help injured birds/animals, supplemented there feed during
the winter and help orphaned bubs. I often wonder if all the birds have a
6th sense or have some communication mechanism through Mother Nature!!!
Basically living with mother nature rather than fighting her.

Perhaps Denise Goodfellow can shed some light on this from an indigenous
perspective.