birding-aus

RE: BIRDSIGHT iPhone birding app

To: <>
Subject: RE: BIRDSIGHT iPhone birding app
From: "Troy Mutton" <>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 09:29:29 +1000
Hi Birders,

I have used it out in the field, and it is faster than writing notes out
by hand, with the added bonus of only needing 1 hand to do it. Getting
the GPS location of where you are at the time is also pretty useful. I
put my sightings into BirdInfo afterwards, but haven't got around to
doing that yet. I'm not sure if BirdInfo lets me import csv files (I'm
hoping it does).

I'm glad that they're adding a delete sighting option. My only other
problem with it is that if you have a "long" list of birds  (so over 6
or 7 records) you need to scroll down to the bottom to get to the Add
Sighting button. I'd personally prefer it to be up the top somewhere -
perhaps next to where it says Sightings, have something next to it "Add
more" or something, rather than having to scroll down to the bottom each
time. It's ok where it is if you do your birding and then add everything
when you get back to the car, but you may as well use a notebook for
that. If you're adding species as you see them, and you're backing out
of that window each time, it is a pain.

Cheers
Troy

I haven't tried this application and can't, because my phone isn't
suitable.

Can someone tell me if it's intended for use in the field in place of
written

notes, or for transcribing written notes later?

If the former, is it quicker than writing?  If the latter, why not use
an

existing free online database like Eremaea?

Peter Shute