birding-aus

Flock Bronzewings in the Channel Country

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Flock Bronzewings in the Channel Country
From: Jon King <>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 23:20:15 -0700 (PDT)
Just a quick message regarding another large aggregation of Flock Bronzewings
we recently found, this time near Bedourie in the Channel Country of far SW
Queensland. On 15 July we had 210 in a few small groups in late morning in the
green valley 2.3km E of Cluny Homestead on the Diamantina Developmental Road,
about 23km S of Bedourie.

We camped in town, and on the evening of 16 July birded the same area in the
couple of hours before dusk to see what transpired. By 1645 (nearly 1.5 hours
before sunset) there were already hundreds of bronzewings flying around in the
valley. They were moving back and forth to water in the next interdune area to
the west, just SE of the Cluny Homestead, and then moved to a roost. This we
found was best observed from the highway 3.3km E of the homestead turning at
24d 30m 58.5s S 139d 37m 02.6s E. The roost ended up totalling at least 2820
birds, and was about 1km S of this GPS point. Shortly before sunset, the whole
flock got up and resettled a few hundred metres away from the earlier spot,
which was quite spectacular to see, even at that distance.

Basically there were great flight views of many hundreds throughout the area
between one and four kms east of Cluny from at least 1630 to about 1800.

Good birding, Jon and Anne King.