birding-aus

Using binoculars

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Using binoculars
From: Rob Geraghty <>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 20:45:13 -0700 (PDT)
--- On Tue, 6/9/09, Stephen Ambrose <> wrote:
> From experience, the use of binoculars (or cameras) are
> generally not allowed near Australian defence facilities,
> unless you have been given a permit/pass from the
> Australian Defence Department.

Thanks for mentioning that - it's worth pointing out.  I was thinking of parts
of the country not controlled by Defence however. :)

One of the laws I was shocked by was the control of State governments over
commercial photography in National Parks.  I can't see how a government can lay
claim to a view.  It's possible that I could take a photo in a national park
and later publish it, but I'm hardly going to pay fees for taking photos unless
I know I am guaranteed to be paid for the pictures.

Mind you, the same state governments charge taxes for rain falling on private
property...

Rob
=======
Rob Geraghty