birding-aus

RE: Hudsonian Godwit in Altona, opinions please

To: "Birding-aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: RE: Hudsonian Godwit in Altona, opinions please
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 12:26:00 +1000
I've had quite a few private replies about this now, all pointing out that
there's no way the reddish bird I spent an hour watching was the Hudwit, and
that it isn't in breeding plumage (and won't be, because it is a first year
bird).  Interesting that they were all private, perhaps trying to save me some
embarassment?  Never mind, I'm a little consoled by the fact that I was at
least suspicious that I had the wrong bird (and not a little that I saw the
right one in flight).

Several have suggested that the Hudwit was in fact the plainer bird that is on
the left in several photos, with the more strongly demarkated bib.  I'm not
sure why I was under the impression I should be looking for a bird in breeding
plumage, as there's no suggestion of that, now that I reread the birdlines, etc.

Hopefully the photos will help anyone else still looking for the bird.  I'll
try and find time to relabel them today, and hopefully I can find some better
ones of the right bird among the ones I rejected.

Peter Shute