birding-aus

Using binoculars

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Using binoculars
From: "Eddie Chapman" <>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 06:07:46 +0200
Hallo all,
I mistakenly took the wrong path and ended up walking through a nudist
colony with bins, and even worse a camera with a telephoto lens. It happened
at Falsterbo, in Sweden a few years ago. I was surrounded by angry naked
Swedes, and only a map and a bit of quick thinking got me out of a tricky
situation.

Luckily the lady at the tourist office had drawn me a rough map of how to
get to a bird reserve on the other side of the nudist colony, the quick
thinking was playing stupid and talking English, even though I have no
problems in communicating in Swedish.

Firstly I showed them the "home drawn" map where there was no mention of a
nudist colony, and when I started apologising in English, then the angry mob
cooled down. They stood there discussing in Swedish if they should call the
police, then one said that they should put up a sign post in English saying
that the area was private, all of them nodded. I saw my opportunity and said
"you should put up a sign post saying it was a private path" The sensible
Swedes couldn't argue against that one, they had already agreed on the same
thing. Then it was smiles all round, and they let me continue walking
through the colony, escorted by two nice ladies, who were telling other
nudists that we meet in Swedish "it's OK he is only an English Bird Watcher"

Regards,
Eddie Chapman, Voss, Norway. http://www.surfbirds.com/blog/Norway/