birding-aus

Duck Shooting at the Western Treatment Plant

To: "Wendy" <>
Subject: Duck Shooting at the Western Treatment Plant
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 13:14:17 +1000
Wendy et al,

I would say that the local Police were well aware that shooting is not allowed in a sanctuary, but chose to turn a blind eye, as they do have discretionary powers as to whether they take action in the case of any breach of the law, as do all law enforcement agencies. I would imagine that the police were more likely on the side of the hunters than the ducks. Perhaps a bit of publicity in the local paper about the incident combined with letters of protest setting out the facts of the matter to relevant authorities would aid in the education of the local Police. I would suggest writing to the Minister for Police, the Commisioner of Police, the Police Local Area Commander, the Minister responsible for Melbourne Water, the CEO of Melbourne Water and the Minister responsible for and the CEO of DSE. The letters should not be emotive, but politely set out the facts and ask why the hunters were allowed to into a Ramsar listed Sanctuary with a high international profile.

I have used such a multi-pronged letter writing campaign with great success several times in the past. The impact of the letters is even better if they are hand written.

I strongly urge that the matter be pursued, as if the hunting lobby gets wind of the incident (if they do not already know of it), they may use it as the thin end of the wedge of a campaign to allow hunting in parts of the WTP.

Carl Clifford