birding-aus

Duck Shooting at the Western Treatment Plant

To: <>, <>
Subject: Duck Shooting at the Western Treatment Plant
From: "Wendy" <>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 12:35:44 +1000
Thankyou Paul for informing us of this and for your actions at the time.
I have no doubt others are following this up officially.
I was rather alarmed and surprised by the implications that this was
officially sanctioned, although I thought Melbourne Water, not DSE were the
managing body. I would also be concerned that local  Victoria Police would
not know shooting is not allowed in a Wildlife Sanctuary.
There are signs around the adjoining  Farm saying "No Shooting" surely it is
the same for the WTP?!

Here are some extracts from their (MW) and other websites:-
"Waterfowl
The Western Treatment Plant is an important refuge for waterfowl during
drought and the duck hunting season."
Source:
http://www.melbournewater.com.au/content/sewerage/western_treatment_plant/bird_species.asp

"? The Western Treatment Plant is a declared Wildlife Sanctuary. Hunting,
disturbing, capturing or destroying animals and birds is strictly
prohibited.

"? Carrying of firearms or crossbows on a Sanctuary is an offence and
persons shooting on land used for primary production are liable for
prosecution under the Firearms Act and forfeiture of firearms.

"? Dogs, cats and other domestic pets are not permitted on site. "
Source:
http://www.melbournewater.net/content/library/sewerage/western_treatment_plant/bird_watching_and_fishing/bird_watching_pack/bird_conditions_and_hazards.pdf

"There are rare birds, migratory birds, and thousands of ducks and wading
birds that use Lake Borrie and the adjacent wetland habitats. ...... Birds
like the Pink Eared Duck and the Chestnut Teal come here as a safe haven in
the duck season. No shooting is allowed. "
http://www.csiro.au/promos/ozadvances/Series16Wetlands.htm

Wendy