birding-aus

Who is saving the great birds of Sydney?

To: <>, <>
Subject: Who is saving the great birds of Sydney?
From: Graeme Stevens <>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 20:58:01 +1100
I recall visiting Homebush Bay as a young keen learner with two fabulous
mentors, Keith Hindwood and Ern Hoskin (how lucky can a young bloke be!?).

I recall it as broad tidal samphire flats and ponds behind mangroves; and while
there was certainly environmental damage from dumping and industrial
encroachment, It was still a very interesting and rich habitat.

So I just delved into old card index files and in September '64 the first
record I find is seven active nests with up to 4 eggs, Black-winged Stilt.

I dont have a species list readily available - I kept only a card index file by
species in those days, but a "ghastly wasteland" at that time? - certainly not!

Sadly my records from those less enlightened times and pre Atlas dont help me
on numbers.

Regards

Graeme Stevens

St Ives NSW