birding-aus

Raptors in Blue Mountains

Subject: Raptors in Blue Mountains
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 23:23:30 +0000
Hi birders. :)

Late yesterday afternoon Graham Turner, Sue Thomson and I went to check a
location in the lower Blue Mountains for raptors, in particular a nest Sue
and her husband Glen mentioned to me a couple of weeks back.

We were glad to have found the cliff ledge about 200m across the gully from
us which was covered in whitewash, a good indication of birds' presence.
As we arrived and looked a Peregrine Falcon flew off, though not because
we arrived as we were too far away. Shortly after, we saw two Peregrines,
at times calling even as GT mentioned one seemed to be begging the other
for food. They hung around the entire time we were there.

We also saw what we are definite about, a Brown Goshawk, that sneaked upon
us from the WSW as we were facing north enjoying the Peregrine pair
and never saw the Goshawk until it hovered above us momentarily to ascertain
our intentions perhaps? Very nice. On the far side we observed a female Collared
Sparrowhawk (so we agreed) and over the Nepean River, a rather large raptor,
which we were pretty certain was a Wedge-tailed Eagle as it was large, dark
and had
a jizz unlike the White-bellied Sea Eagle's hence us ruling out a juvenile
of that species.

Jokingly we ended up calling that a Little (Eagle) Wedgie. :) Though it was
too big for a Little Eagle and even someone with my virginal birding expertise
could work that out.

Saw a Rockwarbler and male Mistletoebird too, and as I left GT and Sue caught
glimpses of a Cicadabird.

Best regards
Akos :)