birding-aus

visit to Australia and New Zealand.

To: <>
Subject: visit to Australia and New Zealand.
From: scott butcher <>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 01:24:28 +0000
Being originally from CHCH nd now based in Sydney, I can recommend CHCH for a
number of NZ endemics. You should be able to pick up Wrybill, Black-fronted
Tern, Black-billed Gull and South Island Pied on the Waimakariri River just
north of Christchurch, although many of these species may have moved off the
river and could be at the Avon Heathcote Estuary by the time you arrive. South
Island Tomtit, Rifleman, Kereru, Grey Warbler and Brown Creeper can be found on
Banks Peninsula again very close to CHCH. I would suggest Hinewai Reserve
behind akaroa. Of this group rifleman would be the hardest to get here.
Variable Oystercatcher and South Island Oysterctacher should be easy to pick up
at the Avon-Heathcote estuary in Christchurch City itself. There are often a
number of other rarities around, so either ring the local Ornithological
Society of New Zealand contact (should be in the phone book) or you can ring
Christchurch City Council and speak to Andrew Crossland he can give you some
local advice on whats about and where.

Scott                      > From: > To: ;
> Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 22:14:40 +1100> Subject:
visit to Australia and New Zealand.> > I also often do the sunrise to 9am
thing. If you're coming in Autumn, that doesn't give you much time - sunrise on
March 1 in Melbourne is 7.05am and of course it just gets worse as winter
approaches, although you gain an hour when daylight saving finishes (end of
March?). I assume therefore that you won't want to be wasting much time
travelling to sites, so we'd need to know where you'd be staying in order to
recommend close spots. Can I assume that a close birding location with
reasonable birding beats a distant but excellent location?> > Peter Shute> >
________________________________________>From:
  On Behalf
Of tom rauch > Sent: Saturday, 10 January 2009 1:57 AM>
To: > Subject: [Birding-Aus] visit to Australia and
New Zealand.> > My wife and I are visiting this spring (your fall). We will be
in Tasmania (4days), Melbourne (4days), Sydney (5days) and Cairns/Port Douglas
(7days). I am not a birding fanatic but like to see as many species as possible
in each place we visit on our trips. Our itinerary does not allow for a full
day of birding in each location; my wife sleeps in until about 9:00am so most
of my birding is on the fly from sunrise until 8:30 or 9:00.> > I'm looking for
some local "hot spots" (parks, lakes, marshes, etc) that I can hit for a few
hours in the mornings, either alone or with some one who knows the ropes.> > We
are also spending 3 weeks in New Zealand, driving from the south end of the
South Island to north end of the North Island. We have a little more time to
explore but my birding would basically be the same as above. If anyone has
contacts or site information for New Zealand, please advise.>
==========www.birding-aus.org> birding-aus.blogspot.com> > To unsubscribe from
this mailing list,> send the message:> unsubscribe> (in the body of the
message, with no Subject line)> to: >
==========> ==========www.birding-aus.org> birding-aus.blogspot.com> > To
unsubscribe from this mailing list, > send the message:> unsubscribe > (in the
body of the message, with no Subject line)> to:
AirNZ vs Pacific Blue & heaps more! Book now.
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fadsfac%2Enet%2Flink%2Easp%3Fcc%3DHOT056%2E76008%2E0%26clk%3D1%26creativeID%3D108913&_t=773821977&_r=HoT_tagline&_m=EXT==============================www.birding-aus.org