birding-aus

IMPORTANT - Access to Hexham Swamp Nature Reserve

To: Birding-Aus Aus <>
Subject: IMPORTANT - Access to Hexham Swamp Nature Reserve
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 11:53:03 +1100
Dear All,

I went to Hexham Swamp Nature Reserve yesterday for some birding. I accessed the Reserve by the northern route via Woodlands Close from the New England Highway. As I was parking the car, I was met by the owner of the property, Mr Mick Hain. Mr Hain pointed out to me that all the land around the Nature Reserve is private property, including the access roads and where I was parking. The properties are owened by Mr Hain and the Oak Dairy factory.

I told Mr. Hain what I was there for and asked if it was OK to park and walk through to the Reserve. Mr. Hain allowed me to procede, but said that he was concerned about people entering the property unannounced, as he has been having problems with people cutting and otherwise damaging fences and with theft. I discussed access for birders with Mr. Hain, and he said that he has no problem with birders going through or parking on his property, but would like to know when people are coming. He has some reservations about large numbers of people descending on the property, and I told him that that would be unlikely, and that there would mainly be individuals or groups of around 2 - 4ish.

If you intend to go to Hexham Swamp via the northern access, please use common courtesy and contact Mr Hain first. His mobile number is 0409 77 07 90. We would not like a good birding spot lost through thoughtlessness. Also I am sure that most people would not like to end a birding trip by being interviewed by the Police.

This is a working cattle property and stock could be on any part. At the moment there are quite a few cows about to drop, and they can be a bit testy with a calf at foot. Also there are 2 very large Bulls on the property, and they can be less than friendly when the cows are in season.

Cheers,

Carl Clifford