birding-aus

visit to Australia and New Zealand.

To: "tom rauch" <>, <>
Subject: visit to Australia and New Zealand.
From: "Billinghurst, David (RTATECH)" <>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 12:54:25 +1100
> My wife and I are visiting this spring (your fall). We will
> be in Tasmania (4days), Melbourne (4days), Sydney (5days) and
> Cairns/Port Douglas (7days). I am not a birding fanatic but
> like to see as many species as possible in each place we
> visit on our trips. Our itinerary does not allow for a full
> day of birding in each location; my wife sleeps in until
> about 9:00am so most of my birding is on the fly  from
> sunrise until 8:30 or 9:00.
>
> I'm looking for some local "hot spots" (parks, lakes,
> marshes, etc) that I can hit for a few hours in the mornings,
> either alone or with some one who knows the ropes.
>
> We are also spending 3 weeks in New Zealand, driving from the
> south end of the South Island to north end of the North
> Island. We have a little more time to explore but my birding
> would basically be the same as above. If anyone has contacts
> or site information for New Zealand, please advise.

Tom,

I can recommend the (recent) books:
* Where to find birds in North-East Queensland, by Jo Wieneke
* Where to watch birds in New Zealand, by Kathy Ombler.

I have used both of them in exactly your situation.  A couple of
free hours at the start or end of the day when travelling.

I am far from an expert on NZ birding, but recently had two days on
Stewart Island, with a visit to Ulva Island which is a predator
free island just offshore.  Just fantastic and not just for birdos
(provided you like peace and quiet).

This email is confidential and may also be privileged.  If you are not the
intended recipient, please notify us immediately and delete this message from
your system without first printing or copying it. Any personal data in this
email (including any attachments) must be handled in accordance with the Rio
Tinto Group Data Protection Policy and all applicable data protection laws.