birding-aus

Common Koel? (Altona, Vic)

To: "Peter Shute" <>, <>, <>
Subject: Common Koel? (Altona, Vic)
From: "Roger Giller" <>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 00:08:59 +1100
Peter, Andrew,
I have recently been playing about recording old vinyl LPs to CD, and have some limited experience in noise reduction. I applied the same techniques to the mystery bird recording and got rid of a lot of the noise. The settings I used were much too strong for music but seem to have worked here. I had to convert the result to a small video file with no picture, just sound, to share it here.
http://picasaweb.google.com.au/lh/photo/-xY41SL0Hm7flcXRUGn53g?authkey=-rVnpRPdbnI
There is a 1 second silence lead-in at the start of the file. You can clearly hear what I presume is the call in question at the following times from the start of the file. 3, 5.2, 7.5, 10.3, 12.4 and 15 seconds. There are also some Australian Magpies near the beginning and a deeper dove-like call. This was more noticeable in the original, at least to my 66 year old ears.

I don't profess to be an expert, but it does not sound like any of the Koel calls, male or female, that I hear daily here in southern Sydney.

Regards
Roger Giller