birding-aus

Desert birder death

To: john hammond <>
Subject: Desert birder death
From: L&L Knight <>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 17:19:05 +1000
I wonder if you are more likely to become unstuck driving a vehicle in the outback than you are doing a real bushwalk.

I never had any qualms about doing week-long bushwalks on my own in SW Tasmania when I was a uni student. I saw no-one during the first 6 days of a walk to Melaleuca via Precipitous Bluff and no-one at all on a traverse of the Wilmot and Frankland Ranges.

There were no GPSs or EPBs in those days, but I had access to maps and guidebooks, the requisite skill, physical ability and bushwalking gear, and I knew what I was doing. The downsides were not having anyone to share the load with [meaning I was carrying up to 30 kg] and not having anyone around when things got tricky.

It's important to know what you can do, what you are doing, what you need to have and where you are going before you venture out the door. That said, it is definitely worth venturing out the door.

Regards, Laurie.