birding-aus

Effects of call playback on birds

Subject: Effects of call playback on birds
From: "Chris Sanderson" <>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 10:21:37 +1000
Thanks for this post Andrew,

The summary of the NEOORN discussion was pretty much as I expected - a little science, plus a lot of discussion of ethics.  I agree wholeheartedly with the conclusions, as I suspect would most of the people who have had this discussion before on birding-aus.  Last time Carol Proberts described her method for using playback, which I found to be a pretty decent and reasonable approach for a professional guide to take.  Search the birding-aus archives if you are interested.  The point about rare birds being over-taxed has also been made before - there are Rufous Scrub-bird individuals in QLD that evidently no longer respond to tape at all due to over-exposure.

Regards,
Chris