birding-aus

Effects of call playback on birds

Subject: Effects of call playback on birds
From: "Douglas Carver" <>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 17:51:07 -0600
I have taken courses with two different ornithologists at the Smithsonian Institution.  Both cautioned against using playbacks, except in rare instances, and even then using them sparingly (one had a rule of thumb that if the bird did not appear after the second playing of the call or song, he would not try a third time).  While neither had hard empirical data (or at least, no data they shared with the class), they both said that a bird responding to a call is expending energy needlessly, which puts unnecessary stress on the bird.  The bird's well-being is more important than our twitch.

Cheers,

Douglas Carver
Albuquerque, NM
USA