birding-aus

Re: Painted Finch north of Jerilderie, NSWRiverina,

To: "John Harris" <>
Subject: Re: Painted Finch north of Jerilderie, NSWRiverina,
From: "Kurtis Lindsay" <>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 17:19:19 +1000
John,

Why would people bother??
Yes, why would people bother releasing Song Thrushes, Blackbirds, Red-whiskered Bulbuls, Spotted Turtledoves, Indian Ringnecks, Cane Toads, Foxes, import Savannah Cats.....? The answer is, people do strange things.

The escaped Rufous Owl of Bridgetown, SW WA managed to survive for quite some time as an escapee, it even managed to hunt down its own food in the form of resident Magpies and Peeewee's. Does anyone know what happened to this bird?

What about all the free roaming Crested Pigeons, Long-billed Corellas and Apostlebirds which survive and breed around sydney? Supposedly they are all a result of escapee, captive stock.

I don't know how far the Painted Finch site is from the nearest urban area, nor do I know what the habitat is like there, so I don't know enough to consider doubting that the finches are drought refugees,displaced etc.
I'm just suggesting another idea to add to the bag of possibilities.

Cheers,

Kurtis Lindsay