birding-aus

Re: Painted Finch north of Jerilderie, NSW Riverina,

To: "Evan Beaver" <>
Subject: Re: Painted Finch north of Jerilderie, NSW Riverina,
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 16:03:23 +1000
Gouldian Finches migrate. Is it known that Painted Finches dont migrate?
Does anyone know if Painted Finches have rounded or pointy tipped wings?

"Evan Beaver" <>
Sent by:
02/09/2008 02:32 PM

"Graham Turner" <>
cc
Baus <>
Subject
Re: [Birding-Aus] Re: Painted Finch north of Jerilderie, NSW Riverina,

Some sort of ranking system could be devised for out of region
rarities, and under my proposed system the Painted finches score quite
well.

Distance from where it should be is clearly important. But as a
multiplier the bird's mass is important (more energy for flight) and
also their normal predisposition to migrating.

So the GHL scores well for being miles out of range, but is less
'incredible' because it is a biggish bird and a migrator anyway.

The finches on the other hand are normally sedentary, and little, so
finding them a long way out of range is remarkable.

Then birds that score very highly could be checked against the 'likely
aviary' birds list to see if it's tickable.

I'll get to work now on a spreadsheet with all the information.

EB