birding-aus

rant against twitching

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: rant against twitching
From: "michael norris" <>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 17:13:16 +1000
Dear Paul

The AFO mag. was once the Australian Bird Watcher or some such. There were many new interesting observations of behaviour, for instance, which amateurs would write up.

Subscribers to this list, individually and collectively, can contribute with a bit more background research. How about the latest Pictorella Mannikin sightings?

They could also no doubt provide comments back to the magazine from their own Field Observations in response to articles.

I hope Stephen is open to all that. Years ago (1995?) I drafted an article on what I thought was a very unusual case of a female-female pair of passerines (Singing Honeyeaters) nesting in our area.

The response was not "Hi - yes - great with a bit more on this argument, some cuts and using this key info." but "you haven't considered the following references..." (mostly minor to what I was trying to report). As if I were some sort of academic ornithologist.

And, yes, I had reported most of the info. on Birding-Aus and got some useful responses.

On similar lines, do I detect that little is known about nest site fidelity amongst Tawny Frogmouths. Many thanks to the few who responded. But no one cited any research.

Michael Norris
Melbourne