birding-aus

Honeyeater and Musk Lorikeet Movements

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Honeyeater and Musk Lorikeet Movements
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 13:33:28 +1000
Dear All,

There have been several reports on Birding-Aus regarding quite large numbers of Honeyeaters and Lorikeets in NSW flying in a west or north-west direction. I have been wondering what might be happening out west and rang an old work mate who is now a large bee exporter. He told me that there are good flowerings of good nectar producers such as Napunya (Eucalyptus thozetiana), Lignum (Muehlenbeckia florulenta), as well as an abundance of ground flora, in the NW corner of NSW and the SW corner of Qld, especially around Hungerford and Wanaaring and over the border in Currawinya NP. I would say that this area would probably be where the Honeyeaters and Lorikeets are heading towards.

There is still quite a bit of water in the lakes in the area and water is still coming down Cuttaburra Creek and there are still quite large areas underwater. This has attracted large numbers of waterbirds and waders. My friend mentioned that 70,000 or so Pelicans had been counted in one location.

If anyone wants a fruitful winter birding trip, it looks like this corner of NSW and Qld might be the place to go.

Cheers,

Carl Clifford