birding-aus

Capertee Valley on the Great Outdoors and increasing traffic

To: "birding australia" <>
Subject: Capertee Valley on the Great Outdoors and increasing traffic
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 12:09:19 +1000
I saw last night on the TV show, "The Great Outdoors" that Capertee Valley was
featured as narrated by Jennifer Hawkins. They showed all its beautful scenery
and it was quite reminiscent of the photos I took there last long (Anzac)
weekend. I would rate the valley as being one of the best scenic sites in
Australia! I did some birding there also that long wekeend but only to where
the bitumen ends as I spent a considerable time photographing the scenery. I
was fortunate to spot one Regent and several Black-chinned Honeyeaters, lots of
Hooded Robins (3 adult males together) amongst many other birds during the few
hours I was there, but for the first time there did not notice any White-browed
Babblers (are they decreasing in the valley?). I usually see or here them along
this stretch without any problem but I did not arrive in the valley to late in
the morning.

I have noticed that since they have sealed more of the road within the valley
that traffic is increasing and it may soon not be the quite place we are use to
it being. Everytime I stopped somewhere along the bitumem, it only took a few
minutes before one or two cars would go by. It makes it hard to photograph
birds by the roadside which is often the only way to do so for most parts in
the valley.

Does anyone else think that the valley is getting more road traffic?

Edwin