birding-aus

blog for birding aus - birders behaving badly

To: <>
Subject: blog for birding aus - birders behaving badly
From: "Stuart Johnson" <>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 12:49:47 +1000
birders behaving badly

The advent of the net and the ability to communicate to a potentially unlimited
audience in nanoseconds has allowed a welcome increase in the sharing of
information on birds and their whereabouts. Finding birds particularly rare or
unpredictable species has, really, never been easier. This in itself is a
positive thing.

There is a downside. With an increase in the numbers of birwatchers comes an
inevitable increase in the bird/birdwatcher interaction. There comes a point at
which our actions begin to influence the behaviour of the animals we're
watching, almost inevitably to their detriment. This is particularly so if our
information leads us to  a limited resource, food, water, nesting location to
which the birds have no choice but to attend.

As intelligent and moral beings we have a responsibility to ensure that our
actions do not place birds under any more stress than they already are.
Birdwatching for us is something we do for enjoyment but the birds are involved
in a very real struggle to survive.

Last week I travelled to Cunnamulla to see (amongst other things) the Flock
Bronzewings. On arriving at the waterhole which they were using I was appalled
to find a string of cars parked on the roadside right next to the waterhole and
a group of birdwatchers standing even closer. On the open plain they'd have
been visible for kilometres.

I get the feeling  that Flock Bronzewings are edgy creatures at the best of
times, especially given the number of raptors hanging around. But I can't
imagine they'd be relaxed to see a whole pile of cars and people standing
around waiting for them to come in.

When asked about how close the observers should be to the water an answer came
back (my paraphrasing) 'as close as you like...... they have to drink'. To me
this is placing an indulgent desire to get a premium look at a rare and edgy
bird before the wellbeing of the animals.

I get no thrill out of looking at a bird that is obviously stressed by my
presence, tick or no tick. Even in this age of unprecedented information there
is still a great deal of satisfaction in having to wait for a really great
sighting of a bird, and this is doubly so if, after such a wait, the sighting
is of a bird relaxed and natural and either unaware or unconcerned by your
presence.

I ask that all birdwatchers place the wellbeing of the birds as their foremost
consideration.

stuart johnson

This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify
the sender.

Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not
necessarily the views of the Department of  Lands.

This email message has been swept by MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer
viruses.