birding-aus

blog for birding aus - birders behaving badly

To: "Stuart Johnson" <>, <>
Subject: blog for birding aus - birders behaving badly
From: "Tim Dolby" <>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 17:15:01 +1000
Stuart,

Good comments, however, I think you are overstating the message about
bad birdwatching and birders.

>From my experience birdwatchers are almost always conservation minded,
being very aware of issues of environmental sensitivity. (Name me one
who isn't. Not on birding-aus though!) Occasionally, very occasionally,
a birder may overstep the line. However this over-stepping is often
totally insignificant when compared to the behaviour of any standard
non-birders (think of the situation with Hooded Plovers for example).

In a life-time of birdwatching I have only seen what I would describe as
bad behaviour by birders once or twice, and in one case, it was because
they thought they were being helpful.

What I see far more often is birders criticising other birders for not
being as 'conservation minded' as themselves. Furthermore this criticism
is often based on a series of negative perceptions rather than having
any basis in reality. (No reflexion on you Stuart.) You can even see
this type of miss-guided attitude in writing on the BOCA web site (sorry
about this BOCA) in the FAQ section, see:

 http://www.birdobservers.org.au/FAQ_text.asp?key=18

The comments on this page are totally silly. (Once again, sorry about
this BOCA; no offence intended on this wonderful organisation. Also many
of the officials at BOCA would describe themselves as 'twitchers'.)

I'll use the example to the twitchathon (oh no... I hear the cry!). This
event attracts an enormous amount of undue criticism from birders,
despite the fact that it raises thousands of dollars annually for
conservation.

For example last year someone emailed me stating that they will be
"doing real conservation, a Hooded Plover count, not destroying the
environment by racing in a twitchathon!" (I get quite few of this type
of email each year.) This is despite the fact that money raised from the
twitchathon helps pay for Hooded Plover research - the same research
they were doing the count for. Also, despite that fact that the people
involved in the twitchathon are some of the most environmentally
conscience people on the planet, often working tirelessly for
ornithological conservation, research and education.

There seems to be an assumption that when twitchathon racers see a
Hooded Plover they run up to them and beat them over the head with their
binos! (as opposed to seeing them in a normal, environmentally
conscience birding way.)

Tim Dolby