birding-aus

Holiday at end of July

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Holiday at end of July
From: Paul Taylor <>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 20:54:27 +1000
L&L Knight wrote:
I would be interested to know if anyone has done a one-way CYP trip and travelled out / come back by the barge that does the milk run from Weipa to Cooktown/Cairns.

I did such a trip with Peregrine Bird Tours in November 2003, but not
with a vehicle.  We caught the M.V. Trinity Bay from Cairns to Seisia
(via Horn and Thursday Island), and returned to Cairns via Iron Range
with a 4WD tour company.  Whilst we offloaded cargo at Lockhart River
onto a barge, I don't know whether passengers and/or vehicles could
be offloaded there (probably not.)

Heading up to the tip by sea was great - fantastic food on board, the
chance to see seabirds along the way, and lovely coastal scenery that
you don't get to see on the road.  Only having to travel on the some
sections of the road once was also a bonus.  ;)

I don't know how the cost and logistics compares to driving up and
back, but it's certainly a unique experience and worth considering.